There are about umpteen factors that I did not list in my last post, and that I wont get in to here, which lead to my ultimate decision and laid the groundwork for The Plan (how pathetic it is that I think there's more drama in capitilizing The Plan.) I may get in to a few of those reasons in future posts but let's just say that it is more than just plain ol' dollars and cents logic.
Yesterday I bought Abby's foal. The day before yesterday I owned Abby's foal.
A curious plan, isnt it?
I signed another year's lease on Abby at the same time as I signed a purchase agreement on her unborn foal.
Marcy officially has Abby on a breeding lease until September of 2011. She officially owns the foal she is carrying and will own that foal should Abby (with blessings from above) deliver a healthy baby in April of 2011. That little bundle of joy will be born under contract for sale to me and I will have 30 days from the time that foal hits the ground to put a deposit on him that will hold him until weaning. At weaning I will owe the remainder of the purchase price.
The only part of this that really matters is that the purchase price is less than the figure I came up with when I crunched the numbers and discovered how much it would cost me to get that foal to weaning. I am saving money.
The other important part is that purchase price (god willing) will be slightly more than what it will cost Marcy to raise that foal. She will make money.
A win win situation.
The kicker is that should I decide for any reason that I can not take on the care of foal I simply will not put down the deposit and that purchase contract will become null and void. I can walk away.
Marcy also benefits should I choose not to close as she will then retain ownership and be able to sell that foal for fair market value (which is greater than what she is selling it to me for.)
I will not be registered as the breeder and I will not technically be raising that foal from birth (as I had dreamed) but that really is a small compromise in the bigger picture.
This plan may not seem that complicated laid out the way it is but the reasoning that lead to this decision had many facets, benefits and compromises that I shall leave here unexamined...all that matters for now is that this plan works brilliantly for the both of us... or is should... with blessings from above.
I have written another post laying out some of the reasoning behind my dream of owning and raising my own foal. It will appear as the post before this one. To link to that post click here: Why Buy Abby's Foal? Sorry for the length of the post... sometimes I find the writing process very cathartic:)