Saturday, November 6, 2010

Heartbreak for Zenyatta

Hearts broke all over the world this evening as the great mare Zenyatta was beat for the first time, ever. For those of you who dont know, Zenyatta is arguably the greatest racing mare to have ever stepped foot on a racetrack if not one of the greatest race horses of all time in part for beating the boys at last years Breeders Cup classic and in part for having never lost a race. The racing community liken her to Seabuscuit and Secretariat but still argued over her ability to win todays Breeders Cup again at age six against a very tough field. Had she won today's race she would have been the first horse to ever won 20 out of 20 races. Watching her come from behind, as she always does, watching her fly down that backstretch, watching her chase down Blame, I really thought she was going to get it done. She only needed one more stride. She only lost by inches....

Was it a mistake to have run her? Is her legacy tarnished by this loss... did her perfection define her greatness or is she all the more memorable for having tried and failed. I guess time will tell.

Video of Mike Smith's emotional response to the loss...

Link here or address:

http://link.brightcove.com/services/player/bcpid9525055001?bctid=663035975001


The race:

10 comments:

  1. I don't think her legacy is tarnished at all - she's still magnificent!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope her legacy isn't tarnished - imagine a mare winning 19/20 starts? That is incredible...

    Still racing after a few big wins? Incredible... It seems that alot of TBs retire after winning a couple of races here and there...

    Thanks for posting the link to the race - I missed it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. One more stride is right if even that much, what a great mare and an awesome race. I so wanted to see her win.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It was a great race, and she is a great mare. I don't think the loss will hurt her in "history's" eye...
    I am bummed just the same, but can't wait to see her get hit the track in the future!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really was shocked when she lost...and to me, she did not loose at all! She did the amazing thing no other horse could do and she is a WINNER!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mike was definitely emotional, it brought tears to my eyes! She's still an amazing horse and a winner in my book. One more stride and that race was no doubt her win.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm just thankful that she held up, she didn't break any thing and she will go on to bring a new dynasty into the racing world.
    I just kept remembering Ruffian the whole time she was going to post.
    I would have been devastated if she had broken something.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think she is an amazing horse. She ran an amazing race and will be remembered forever.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It hurt. It sucked. It was rider error. I love that mare, she is still my hero. I love that Mike Smith said once when asked "Does Zenyatta just become a broodmare after this is all over?" "Who do you think they will breed her to?" And he said "No one is worthy." No one is worthy...she is greatness, even in defeat.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I don't watch the races anymore but I know about Zenyatta...She was so close that is just sad....will it tarnish her,I don't think so she ran for all she was worth ...you can't ask for anything more than that.

    ReplyDelete