Monday, October 13, 2008

DB- Marathon Man Suppa-star !!!

I am SOOOOOOOOOOOO (yes, 12 "O"s worth) PROUD of my DB (Darling boyfriend). Yesterday, he officially qualified to run the Boston Marathon!!! Qualify? Boston? What!? You heard me! For those of you who dont know, the Boston Marathon is the creme de la creme of marathons- reserved for elite runners. In order to go to Boston, you have to run a "Boston Qualifying time " (under a specific time designation for age an sex )in sanctioned runs across the world. Only 1% of people in the world can run a marathon. Only 1% of marathons will qualify for Boston. My DB is one of them. DB has always been an athlete and an overachiever. I admire a thousand things about my man- his humor, intelligence, compassion and of course, his devilishly handsome good looks but most of all I admire his tremendous iron will. He has the heart of a lion. He radiates positivity and optimism. I admire his dedication and the supreme effort he put into training for yesterdays 26.2 mile run (that he did in under 3 hours and 30 minutes!)...hours spent running in the rain and sleet, in the hottest days of summer and the coldest days of winter. I admire that he put in 50+ mile weeks, and that he has logged over 1000 miles this year alone!

He has faced adversity, has had major setbacks but has endured. Marathoning is all about endurance, but not just of the physical body. It is a test of the endurance of your heart, will, and spirit. DB passed with flying colors. Twice in the past 3 years he has been set to qualify. The first time he was stopped short by a crippling foot condition called metatarsalgia. It took a few years for his foot to heal with the help of orthodics. His right foot is still not a 100% and nearly cost him the race yesterday, but he ran through the pain and got the job done. Over a year ago he was 3 weeks away from attempting to run a qualifier when he came down with a horrible bronchial infection that he just could not kick and that stopped him from running at all for months. Twice he put in months and even years of training, only to be held back right before he was able to put put it to the test. But his dedication endured and this year he qualified for Boston 2010!

When DB turned a "certain age" he set two goals. To run a marathon and to become a pilot. He accomplished both in under a year. He then set his sights on qualifying for Boston, getting his night endorsement (for flying after dark) and his commercial licence (to fly jets). You can put a check next to goal # one. I would be my last dollar that in Spring of 2010, he will fly us both, in a jet, to Boston. Because that is why my DB does best...he SUCCEEDS. The best part is that I get to come along for the ride and get credit for his work! lol He tells everyone and insists that "we" did it. My retort- "you did't see my fat ass running"! But I do help. I help him with his time trials, rub his legs at night and meet him at the mile markets with a smile, some Gatorade, gels or just a "You got this the bag Baby! or a "THAT'S my MAN!!!" "YAYAYAY!!!!"

Yesterday was Canada's Thanksgiving Day. I had a lot to be thankful for!- Thankful that I get to spend my life with such an amazing man; Thankful that I was able to be there, standing at the finish line when the love of my life accomplished such an amazing goal ! Thankful that I get to share in his joy, to cry and feel my heart nearly burst with pride. Thank-FULL.

DB- he's a Boston Qualified marathoner!!! He is a great man and my best friend. And...he is all mine.

7 comments:

  1. Cool.

    That gives ENDURANCE a whole new meaning. I have had family members who did the Boston Marathon. That Newton Hill is something else.

    8-)

    Blessings,
    Linda
    The Mane Point

    Guess the Breed, at The Mane Point

    ReplyDelete
  2. GO DB!!!! Nice to "know" a Star, even if just via cyberspace. Totally excellent.

    Bet you are busting with pride about ALL of his accomplishments!! Flying-- dude.... You'd be hard pressed to get me in a plane sans knockout drops..lol...

    Hearty congrats all the same on EVERYTHING!! Will be looking forward in 2010 to reading how it goes!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow-Congratulations to DB. And to you for being there for him. I certainly admire people with the drive and dedication to accomplish lofty goals.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pass on my congrats! Those are both amazing goals to accomplish. I work in aviation and can sympathize with his love for the industry and thrill of flying.

    I will be crossing my fingers for your DB in 2010! Now if only my guy had that kind of will and dedication! lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. Totally awesome!!!

    I can barely run three miles, let alone three hours...lol!!!

    And he flies airplanes too??? What a keeper! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Way to go for your DB! I can take marathon nap! does that count?

    ReplyDelete
  7. How wonderful...I have not heard such enlightening news for such a long time...DF is very passionate person and like you said it is about the "endurance".
    Congratulations to him and for his sweetems support and always being there for him.
    Wonderful News!!!!
    Big Guys mom :>)

    ReplyDelete