Sunday, November 22, 2009

Fat Toe Syndrome and A Study of Apes


I have Fat Toe Syndrome. Any of my regular readers might be aware that I like to invent syndromes. It's called, "Syndrome of making up Syndrome's Syndrome." Do you have it?

*crickets*

So... I have fat toes. My second toe... or is it my third? Do you go left to right when counting or right to left? (the ring finger toe equivalent) is abnormally fleshy and whenever I go for long walks my witches toe (the toe next to your big toe...it's called a witches toe if it is longer than your big toe.) steps on my third toe and creates a blister. I am convinced that my weight issue has finally gotten so bad it is effecting my toes. Hence the Fat Toe Syndrome. Does anyone else ever have this?

*crickets*

Okay, okay. I'm weird and totally rambling and so I'll try to pretend I didnt just make a total ass of myself by recommending a highly educational PBS program...

A few months ago I caught an amazing show on NOVA (PBS) about apes. It was absolutely fascinating and I've been hoping to see it again some day... which is why I was so excited when I found that it is available online!

Until I discovered that it is only available online to US viewers! WTF! We're Canada people! Not Russia! Not very neighborly, if you ask me.

I'll share anyways!

Click here to go to the page on NOVA's website.

The program is broken into chapters.

I found the chapter on "Impulse Control" most interesting because of the study featured in which children and apes are tested on their impulse control- they had to choose between getting one gummy bear immediately (in a bowl in front of them) or waiting a few minutes to receive a handful of gummy bears. It is really neat to see how some children were totally unable to control their impulse and decided to take the single gummy. What was even more fascinating was how the length of time the child managed to resist the temptation of that single gummy directly correlated to their SAT scores later in life (the longer they waited the higher their scores.)

Anyone one to take a guess how I would have fared in that experiment?

A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush?

Yes or no?


For those outside the US, here is a link to the program on youtube:

Part 1/6
Part 2/6
Part 3/6
Part 4/6
Part 5/6
Part 6/6

2 comments:

  1. Will definitely give that a watch a little later. That is so annoying about the non-US-Viewers thing, we are Canada, we get PBS on cable and satellite, why not online?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the chuckle!! I had not seen/heard of the PBS special, but it sounds like something I would have failed miserably at. Lol! Glad to hear I'm not alone!

    ReplyDelete