Friday, July 23, 2010

The Abominable Spinning Lady

Okay so... let's pretend to ignore my (obvious) blogger growing pains for a moment... *ehem*




I am very curious what you all have to say about The Abominable Spinning Lady. And no, The Abominable Spinning Lady is not a Stephen King book... nor a movie featuring projectile vomit. It's a rather simple little optical illusion that I've noticed in the advertisement "banners" of some websites... have you seen her? (btw, I gave her the name "The Abominable Spinning Lady"... dont ask why she's "abominable" okay? Let's just say I felt "spinning lady" lacked for a little drama)..... so, she is this ballerina-esque lady spinning around and around on her pivot foot with a link underneath that says, "Which was is the ballerina spinning?" and something like "click here and find out if you are a genius!!!"



I always figured it was some false lead in for a penile enlargement site (Oh! Oh! I saw a hilarious comedy sketch about penile enlargement the other day! I'll see if I can find it!)... and it probably is but every time I've seen that ballerina I've wondered it it is humanly possible for anyone to see her spin a different direction than I did... to the extent that I actually thought it was a trick question. In case you didnt know I often have far to much time on my hands....that combined with a hopelessly inquisitive mind leads me to "googling" and reading up on some seriously bizarre topics (Did you know that the sun makes up 99.8% of the mass of the solar system?... and that some mushrooms contain more potassium per pound than bananas? (I can hardly think the word Bananas without singing "It's bananas! B.A.-N.A.-N.A. S!").... and that watermelons are stir fried and pickled in China?...wikipedia and I are like this *holds up crossed fingers*....)



Where was I? Oh yes the dizzy lady.... So I decided to get to the bottom of that blasted ballerina once and for all! I found a blog with a long and in depth thread discussing the left brained vs right brained (hemisphere) and the personality/intelligence level of people who see her spin one way vs. the other vs. both. Without further prompting I have to ask... Which way does The Spinning Lady spin for you? *** DO NOT CLICK ON THE "CLOCKWISE/COUNTERCLOCKWISE" BUTTONS TO REPLY TO THIS THREAD PLEASE LEAVE A COMMENT****




18 comments:

  1. She goes counter clock for about 5 spins and then I blink and she went clock wise, whats that say about me? I'm crazy right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. she only spins clockwise for me... guess that means I'm boring?

    ReplyDelete
  3. She goes both ways for me.. Hmmm...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm seeing what Aunt Krissy is seeing. Counter clockwise to begin with then clockwise, no matter how many times I leave the site and come back to it! ( :

    ReplyDelete
  5. She gives me a headache, which annoys me. Or maybe it's simply that she resembles the spinning top my children have become, and that annoys me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I knew before I even scrolled down your blog what you were talking about when you mentioned the spinning lady, lol! it's so distracting isn't it?
    well she spins clockwise for me, does she change direction at any point, or am I just boring, lol?
    Ah! I just saw her change direction as I was staring, haha!

    xoxo
    betty

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can get her to switch directions though it isn't always easy. I think clockwise is my default but it's hard to say.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Counter-clockwise all the way baby!!! Am I crazy??? LOL!!

    PS-I also knew what you were talking about when I started to read this post, but like you, I never clicked on it. : )

    ReplyDelete
  9. Okay...I went back and stared at her for a really long time, and I think that the thing messes with your mind. Every 15-20 spins, she will switch direction for 1-2 spins and then she goes back to counter-clockwise. I swear it is going to drive me crazy...lol!!!! : )

    ReplyDelete
  10. well she seems so spin clockwise all the time, no matter how long i look at her, which admittingly isnt that long casue she just changed directions, creepy!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Both ways for me, what does that mean????

    ReplyDelete
  12. Counter clockwise- change directions! Never!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Fun test! Accurate? I have my doubts...

    ReplyDelete
  14. Counter-clockwise for me. No direction changes. I tried.

    Left brained for sure.

    Hmmm...I am left handed so that means I am supposed to be in my 'right' mind. How can I be in my right mind if I am left brained?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Weeeeird! I meant to leave a comment the other day when I first read this, but I never got around to it.

    When I looked at this the first time she was spinning counter clockwise. Could not get her to change. Today, she is spinning clockwise. Cannot get her to go the other way and can't fathom how I ever saw her going the other direction. Wonder what that says about me?! lol

    ReplyDelete
  16. Clockwise, of course (and I just know I'm right, too - heh heh heh ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  17. She starts out clockwise, but I can easily make her change directions.

    ReplyDelete
  18. She changes a lot for me. Initially clockwise, but when I look away to read text, sometimes she changes, somethings she stays the same, but she flicks between directions just as easily and I can't force it either way.

    I have seen this before, and that time I could only see her one way and tried for ages before I eventually got to see her going the other way. Today I see her both ways with ease.

    Very perplexing!

    ReplyDelete