Friday, January 22, 2010

Britches, Half Chaps and Helmets, Oh My!

On Monday I'm going to the dark side.... That other world filled with britches, half chaps, and helmets, oh my!

My bum and this....


will meet.


Be afraid. Be very, very afraid.
On Monday I am going to take an English lesson...and not the kind that involves a bunch of verbs, nouns and spelling bees. And guess what I am not even that nervous about it! What I really feel, oddly enough, is... liberated. Because I have placed absolutely NO expectations on my ability to ride well on Monday. As a matter of fact, I am virtually guaranteed to suck. And that, for me, comes as a welcome relief.
Why?
Because I have a driving ambition when it comes to reining... I want to be good... no, great! I have idols that I want to emulate. I have a fixed idea in my head of what I want my body to be doing...even if I cant seem to get it done. And most importantly, I understand how badly I suck at reining...because I have a clear idea of where I want to be... and just how far I am from being there. Sometimes I even want to do something right soooo bad that I get in my own way.
Which is why my lesson Monday will come as a welcome relief. All I have to do is show up and try. That's it... just try, learn, have fun and broaden my equine horizons.
How do they say giddy-up in the English world? Tally-ho!?!

16 comments:

  1. Cool! I love riding english, but sorta suck at it! I hope your lesson goes well...

    Do you have breeches and chaps or are you just going to ride in jeans? Inquiring minds need to know (and not in a weird stalker way...)lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you! Hasn't it been while since you rode?

    I'm headed out today for the first time in a long time, too.

    Here's hoping we both come out intact.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's always nice to try something different. Hope you relax and enjoy yourself, you might find you like it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have fun - it won't be so bad - but be prepared for sore legs....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Enjoy the lesson!! You will have fun.
    Last time I sat in a western saddle I flet like I could not move for days!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hav e you EVER ridden in an English saddle???

    ReplyDelete
  7. Enjoy it! You will be surprised I think at how much you Won't suck! Enjoy it! Can't wait to hear how it goes!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh! I can't wait to hear about it. Hopefully you will have someone around to take a picture or two? I want so badly to take Dressage lessons on my mare, and I feel the same way about it. Having grown up running barrels and just plain western riding, taking that english saddle lesson, even if I really suck at it, will make me so happy. And proud! Its scary to go over to the other side, cuz you might actually like it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. LOL Chelsi- I know I'm overtired, and need more coffee. When I first saw the title, my eyes read:
    "Bitches, Half Chaps, and Helemts..."

    Yeah. Need Much More Coffee! ;)

    Have a great ride girl!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great post! Great blog!!

    Enjoyed my visit,
    Julie
    www.ridingaside.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good for you! Can't wait to hear all about it. Read my recent post and you'll see I've got something up my sleeve, too! ;) Maybe we can commiserate about our sore legs and bums together, LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey Chelsie, thanks for venturing over to THE PONY EXPRESSION and leaving a comment. It was good to see you.

    ;) S

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm sorry C! I should have left a quick note telling you I have no problem with your assessment of the paint horse.

    I'm working on a post about that, but it's all good.:)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh! Have so much fun! I love it although it is a wee bit of a mental challenge for me - being that it's the complete opposite of what you do when you chase a cow! lol!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Well, almost any kind of riding on a horse should be welcomed..enjoy your time there!
    KK

    ReplyDelete